Creamy Swiss Onion SoupPrint Category Onion Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) quartered, thinly-sliced onions
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 4 1/2 tsp (25 mL) chicken broth mix
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Swiss or Canadian Cheddar cheese, divided
- Buttered croutons
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté onions over medium heat about 10 minutes. Stir in water and broth mix. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Smoothly combine flour and milk. Add to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Add 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the Canadian Swiss cheese; stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into 4 oven-proof soup bowls; sprinkle with Buttered Croutons. Top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Serve.
- Buttered croutons:
- Toss 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bread cubes in 3 tbsp (45 mL) melted butter. Bake in 350 ºF (180 ºC) oven 5 to 7 minutes. Turn cubes over; bake 5 to 7 minutes longer. Makes about 1 cup (250 mL).