Toasted Walnut & Apple SaladPrint Category Green salad Thematic No thematic Source Crisco Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
Ingredients: Walnut Vinaigrette
- 1 cup Crisco® Canola or Vegetable Oil 250 mL
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces 125 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion 125 mL
- 1 - 2 tbsp minced garlic 15 - 30 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried sage 1 mL
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar 75 mL
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups assorted salad greens 1.5 L
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted 175 mL
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in frying pan. Add walnuts, onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and sage. Cool.
- Process nut mixture in food processor with vinegar until smooth. With machine running drizzle remaining oil into the mixture and purée until blended.
- Arrange salad greens in salad bowl or individual bowls. Top with apple slices and walnuts. Drizzle dressing over salad. Toss and serve.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Tips: Vinaigrette can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Crumble a little feta or goat cheese on top if desired.
For a main course, add cooked chicken or turkey.