Cold Pear and Fiddlehead VeloutéPrint Category Cold soup Thematic Stove Source Loblaws Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 500 g (1 lb) fiddleheads
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coarse salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2 L (8 cups) chicken broth
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, seeded and cubed
- To taste salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh lime juice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 125 ml (½ cup) cooking cream 15% m.f.
- 2 leaves green basil (or tarragon)
- To taste homemade croutons
- Blanch fiddleheads for 5 minutes in boiling water to which is added 30 ml (2 tbsp) of coarse salt and 5 ml (1 tsp) of baking soda. Cool in ice water and drain well.
- In a large saucepan, heat chicken broth, add pears, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes. Add fiddleheads, lime juice, butter and cream and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add basil at the last moment. Pour into food processor, then through a strainer, if desired. Let cool then refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve with homemade croutons.
Time: hands-on: 5 min
cooking: 30 min
total prep: 35 min + cooling
Chef's Tip: This creamy soup is just as delicious served warm!