Nut and Maple Caramel SaucePrint Category Spread Thematic No thematic Source Fédération des producteurs du Québec Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 500 ml (2 cups) maple sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 2 - 370 ml (13 oz.) cans of evaporated milk
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) cornstarch
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) roasted walnuts, chopped
- In a thick bottom casserole, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and maple syrup and mix until all sugar melts completely. Increase heat and cook until the syrup becomes dark amber in colour.
- Add milk and cook for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add to the caramel mixture in the pot, stirring vigorously and let boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into a bowl, add butter and vanilla and mix using a mixer until you obtain a smooth sauce. Stir in nuts. Let cool before transferring into jars.
Yield: about 4 jars of 190 ml (3/4 cup) each