Asian Beef and Coriander Soup MealPrint Category Beef Thematic No thematic Source IGA Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) Chicken broth
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Cinnamon stick, broken in two
- 2 Star anise
- 1 Small hot pepper, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) Brown sugar
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) Rice vinegar
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) Vegetable oil
- 450 g (1 lb) Inside round steak, about 2 cm (3/4 in) thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag (250 g) Rice vermicelli noodles
- 500 mL (2 cups) Bean sprouts
- 250 mL (1 cup) Peeled and julienned daikon (Japanese radish)
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Chopped fresh coriander
- 2 Green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Chopped roasted peanuts
- Finely grated peel of one lemon
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add garlic, cinnamon, star anise, hot pepper, brown sugar and rice vinegar. Reduce heat to medium and allow mixture to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or until the meat is cooked but still pink. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover with aluminium foil and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice into thin strips.
- In a saucepan, cook rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and divide evenly among 4 large soup bowls. Add bean sprouts and sliced beef. Pour broth over top. Garnish with daikon, coriander, green onions, peanuts and lemon zest.
Serves : 4 servings
Variation: For a peanut-free version, replace by grilled soy beans sold as a snack.