Date Squares (Becel)Print Category Dates and Figs Thematic No thematic Source BECEL Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 3/4 lb pitted dates (about 2 1/2 cups/625 mL) 375 g
- 1 1/2 cups water 375 mL
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
- 1 1/4 cups each: whole wheat flour, large flake oats 300 mL
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar 150 mL
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 mL
- 1/2 cup BECEL® Margarine 125 mL
- 2 tbsp water 30 mL
- Chop dates; place in medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water. Simmer, uncovered, stirring until mixture is thick and just a few pieces of dates are visible, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Let cool.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar and baking soda. Using fingers, mix in margarine and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture in 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Gently spread date mixture over top. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over top, pressing gently. Bake in 350˚F (180˚C) oven 30 to 35 minutes until crumble is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 20 squares.
An old fashioned square that's perfect for a lunch box or picnic.
Per Serving: 168 Cal; 2.3g Pro; 5.2g Fat; 30.4g Carb; 3.0g DFib