Apple Upside-Down CakePrint Category Upside-down cakes Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon Topping
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). To make topping, butter a 13" x 9" (33 x 23 cm) baking pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs in the pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, toss apple slices with brown sugar, slivered almonds and cinnamon. Arrange apple mixture evenly on bottom of the pan.
- To make cake batter, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in ground almonds and eggs. Stir in the remaining ingredients until smooth. Spoon batter over apples.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. To invert, place cooling rack on top of the cake, turn cake upside down and carefully remove pan.
Tips: Cinnamon and apples baking in the oven make a house smell like home. This lovely cake is good hot or cold. Serve it with real whipped cream - it's lovely!