Caramelized Onion BunsPrint Category Small breads Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 7 cups (approx 1.75 litres) unbleached bread flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) warm water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) melted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- Place yeast, sugar, salt and 2 cups (500 ml) flour in a mixing bowl. Add water, eggs and butter and beat on high speed using an electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in half the flour. Add more flour 1/2 cup (125 ml) at a time until dough becomes very stiff. Turn dough out onto a work surface and continue to add flour, kneading, until dough is smooth, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Butter a mixing bowl and add dough, turning to coat. Cover tightly and let stand in a warm place for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook, stirring often, for 12 to 14 minutes or until onions are very soft. Sprinkle in sugar and stir until onions are very brown but not scorched. Add Worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any browned bits and simmer, stirring, until juices evaporate. Cool.
- Punch down dough and knead in onions. Divide into 12 seamless round buns. Place buns on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Glaze Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Whisk egg white with water and brush all over each bun. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden