Butter and Wine Basted ChickenPrint Category Whole chiken Thematic BBQ Source Chicken Farmers of Canada Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) whole chicken
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shallots, finely-chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) rosemary, dried
- pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup (78 mL) white wine, dry
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Hook wing tips back behind body, tie securely with cotton twine, set aside.
- Combine butter, shallots, parsley, thyme, rosemary and pepper if desired.
- Using your fingertips, gently loosen skin around chicken breast. Stuff each side of breast with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) herb butter mixture, gently pressing on skin surface to spread evenly. Tie legs together securely. Insert the spit-rod lengthwise through cavity of chicken and secure with holding forks making sure chicken is balanced.
- In saucepan, melt remaining herb butter mixture. Remove from heat; stir in wine. Set aside and reserve for basting.
- Attach spit-rod to rotisserie with drip pan directly beneath chicken. Cook over medium-hot grill, for 1 ½ to 2 hours, basting about every 15 minutes. On charcoal-fired grill, it may be necessary to add more coals.
- The chicken should be roasted until a meat thermometer inserted into the breast reads 185°F (85°C), and/or the juices run clear when pierced at the thickest part.
Prep Time:20 mins
Cook Time:2 hours
*This recipe is a delicious way to use your rotisserie spit! The rewards of cooking chicken rotisserie style are many: crisp, golden brown skin, juicy succulent meat and, best of all, this method requires minimal attention.
*The chicken can also be cooked in a conventional oven at 350°F (180°C) for 1½ to 2 hours.
Butter and Wine Basted Chicken
Per 395 g serving
Protein 73 g
Fat 34 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Carbohydrate 2 g
Fibre 0 g
Sugar 0 g
Cholesterol 300 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Per 395 g serving
% Daily Value
Vitamin A 25
Vitamin C 20
Vitamin B6 83
Vitamin B12 65