Green Bean and Barley SaladPrint Category Barley and Quinoa Thematic No thematic Source Recettes Quebecoises Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 lb (454 g) green beans
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot barley or pearl barley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) baby arugula leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) crumbled Canadian feta cheese, (about 100 g)
- Trim beans; halve diagonally. Blanch in saucepan of boiling water until tender- crisp, about 3 minutes. Cool in ice bath; drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in pot of boiling salted water, cook barley until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper; add barley and beans, tossing to coat well.
- Add arugula, tomatoes and green onions, tossing well. (Make-ahead: Cover and let stand for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.) Stir in cheese.
This unusual combination of crunchy-fresh beans and hearty barley is a tasty salad that can be made ahead of time.