Coconut Thai RicePrint Category Rice Thematic No thematic Source Recipes Quebecoises Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Thai jasmine rice or basmati rice or other long grain rice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- If using jasmine rice, rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain. Set aside.
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, onion and gingerroot, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in coconut milk and 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) water; bring to boil. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. With fork, stir in salt.
* Tip: Coconut milk can be found in cans or in the powdered form. Any leftover liquid milk can be frozen in ice cube trays, then transferred to freezer bags to add to curries or soups.