Spaghetti and Meatball SoupPrint Category Beef Thematic Stove Source Recipes Quebecoises Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1/2 lb (454 g) lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (28oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) beef stock
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) broken-up spaghetti or small pasta
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- In large Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain off fat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and 1 cup (250 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add pasta and remove from heat; let stand until tender but firm, about 7 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
* This hearty soup has all the elements of a big pot of spaghetti and meat sauce. Adding the pasta to the soup and letting it stand allows the pasta to cook to perfection -- and you don't have to watch the pot