You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- Flaky Pastry Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen chopped rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped peeled apples
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (18 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- On lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry into 12-inch (30 cm) circle. Fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate; trim overhang. Set aside.
- In sieve, drain blueberries, rhubarb and cranberries; gently press out excess juice and reserve for another use. In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour and cornstarch; add fruit mixture and toss to coat. Scrape into pie shell; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry into 13-inch (33 cm) circle; brush rim of pie shell with water and fit pastry over filling. Trim edge, leaving 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang; fold overhang under pastry rim. Press to seal and flute edge.
- Bake pie in bottom third of 350°F (180°C) convection oven until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour. Let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Cover loosely and store at room temperature for up to 6 hours.)
- Conventional oven: Bottom third at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes; 350°F (180°C) for about 40 minutes
- In small bowl, whisk egg yolk with 2 tsp (10 mL) water; brush lightly over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar; cut steam vents in top.