Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee CakePrint Category Strawberries Thematic No thematic Source No source Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool.
- For cake,in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir in crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Spoon cooled filling over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- For topping, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.