Cherry swirl coffee cakePrint Category Cherries Thematic Stove Desserts Source Smucker's Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
Ingredients Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Crisco® Shortening
- 1 package (8 g) active dry yeast
- 3 1/4 cups (800 mL) Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) Smucker's® Cherry Jam
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat milk, sugar, salt and shortening in small saucepan just to boiling; cool to lukewarm (105°F-115°F/40°C-46°C). Stir in yeast. Transfer mixture to medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add 1 cup (250 mL) flour to milk mixture; beat well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a thick batter; beat until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Stir batter down. Pour batter into 2 greased 9" (23 cm) round cake pans. Cover with tea towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Make a swirl design on top of batter with a floured spoon; fill grooves with jam, using 1/4 cup (50 mL) for each coffee cake.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake coffee cakes on centre oven rack for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Fill grooves with remaining jam.
- Mix icing sugar with milk to make a thin glaze consistency; drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes: 2 coffee cakes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Tips: Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange rind to the dough.
Try Smucker's® Raspberry or Strawberry Jam for another great cake.