You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 250 g (1/2 lb) lean milk-fed ground veal
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) dehydrated onion
- 1 egg
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) Le Cent-façons pre-chopped vegetable blend
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) dried parsley
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) orzo (small rice-shaped pasta)
- 250 mL (1 cup) coarsely chopped arugula
- Black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Parmesan cheese shavings for garnish
- In a bowl, combine veal, bread crumbs, garlic powder, dehydrated onion and egg. Shape mixture into small meatballs, about 2 cm (3/4 inch) in diameter.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs for 5 minutes, or until browned, working in batches if need be. Add garlic, vegetable blend, chicken broth, bay leaves and parsley.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Add orzo and arugula, and continue cooking for 8 minutes. Season with pepper to taste.
- Divide soup among four serving bowls. Garnish generously with basil leaves and a few Parmesan shavings. Serve with a whole-grain bread.
Variation: Double the meatball recipe and cook them separately. Add to a tomato-basil pasta sauce and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, for a meatball spaghetti sauce that's ready in no time at all!