You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) American saffron
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) hot water
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) Calrose Italian Rice
- 1 mL (1/4 teaspoon) turmeric
- 625 mL (2 1/2 cups) chicken stock
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 60 g (2 oz) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine the saffron and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the rice and turmeric, and combine thoroughly.
- Combine the mixture with the saffron, along with the chicken stock and wine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the texture is creamy. Add the cheese and combine thoroughly. Serve immediately with a grilled or simmered meat dish.
Calrose rice is a medium-grain rice with a pleasantly creamy texture when cooked.