Braised and Grilled Lamb ShanksPrint Category Lamb hocks Thematic BBQ Stove Source Chef Ian Perreault Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely diced carrot, onion, leek, garlic (mirepoix)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey*
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard*
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Irresistible orange juice*
- 1 orange, diced
- 1 bunch of thyme, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) Irresistible coarse black pepper*
- 5 Irresistible bay leaves*
- ¼ cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- Sufficient quantity, olive oil*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim and season lamb shanks.
- In a casserole, lay lamb shanks on top of the mirepoix, add water to cover and simmer for 2½ hours. Remove and reserve shanks.
- In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Put hot shanks in marinade, turning to coat evenly, and marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat barbecue to high. Drain shanks and lay them on the hot grill. Reduce heat to medium, and grill shanks 5 - 6 minutes per side.
Suggestion: Trimming lamb shanks of as much fat as possible enhances the flavour!