Hearty Potato Soup with Caramelized VegetablesPrint Category Potatoe Thematic No thematic Source Crisco Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 leeks, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 parsnips, cleaned and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups light cream or milk
- 2 cups Hungry Jack® Mashed Potatoes, flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- COOK bacon in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove cooked bacon. Cool and crumble. Set aside.
- ADD oil, onions, leeks, celery, parsnips and carrots to the bacon drippings in the pan. Reduce heat to medium, cooking slowly, about 25 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown lightly. Add garlic. Cook 5 minutes more.
- BLEND in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cream, potato flakes, thyme, salt, pepper, parsley and reserved bacon. Gently heat through and serve.