Herbed Mushroom Barley SoupPrint Category Barley/Orzo Thematic No thematic Source Crisco Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Butter Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 3 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking barley, prepared according to package instructions
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- MELT shortening in Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until tender. Add mushrooms. Cook just until soft.
- ADD broth, cooked barley, nutmeg and thyme. Bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in dill and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
8 to 10 servings